How many times have you skipped your office / school / college because you have a cold? And how many times have you heard the words “but it’s just a cold!” A cold can seem like a commonplace nuisance, but it certainly can cause serious discomfort and make you feel really sick. The common cold is known to have a variety of symptoms, such as headaches, sore throat, fever, cough and nasal congestion, stuffy nose. If you suffer from a cold, do not waste your hard-earned money on medicines and decongestants over the counter, as there is no cure for it. Instead, opt for home remedies for colds that will make your life easier and help you cope better with the symptoms.
Ten Cold Remedies at Home:
1. Drink plenty of fluids: A cold means the production of mucus in your airways. By drinking plenty of fluids, you help clear up the mucus, which can circulate freely and be expelled from your body. Mucus also contains the virus that causes the common cold and this means that you will help your body heal more quickly. Usually, you should seek to sip water or drink hot tea every two hours. Drink about eight ounces of liquid each time.
2. Get enough rest: There is no better cure for the cold than the rest. Not only will you help your body recover and fight cold quickly, you will also not spread the infection. Try to stay in bed, watch TV or read a book. Yes, you need rest, even if it is just a cold!
3. Slurp Chicken Soup: Remember how your mom used to give you chicken soup when you had a cold like a child? Well, she understood the benefits of this home remedy! The soup vapors will thin the mucus and help it flow out of your nose while the soup by itself contains nutrients that will boost your energy levels and help in the healing process.
4. Ginger and Clove: Both ginger and cloves have been used in Asian cultures for centuries for their medicinal and anti-inflammatory properties. A paste made of cloves, ginger and salt can cure the common cold and also help relieve some of the symptoms. Take half a teaspoon of this dough twice a day.
5. Steam Inhalation: Cold usually causes the nose to get clogged and blocked This can make breathing difficult. Steam inhalation is the best home remedy for colds that clears congestion accompanied by colds. You can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil into the water if you wish.
6. Eat More Citrus: Citrus fruits, like oranges and lemons, contain Vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system. This helps your body fight the virus better and speed up the healing process.
7. Ground black pepper: If you are troubled by sneezing and runny nose, you will be amazed at what ground black pepper can do. Mix about half a teaspoon of fresh ground pepper in a glass of warm water. Stir well and drink this beverage. It will stem the flow of mucus and also stop sneezing. You can also gargle with pepper water to help your throat pain.
8. Saline nasal drops: Forget those over-the-counter nose drops that are so common nowadays. Instead, make your own drops for the nose by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of salt and eight ounces of water. Fill this salt solution in a nasal spray and use it 4 to 6 times a day. It will not only thin the mucus, but also allow it to be expelled from your nose.
9. Run the humidifier: Dry indoor environment can make you feel uncomfortable. You will find your nasal passage drying out and this can cause irritation. In addition, dry nasal passages provide the ideal environment for the virus to proliferate and make your cold worse. Run a humidifier in the chamber to provide moisture from the air inside and this helps keep your nose and nasal tissue moist.
10. Turmeric: Enough can not be said about the healing properties of turmeric. Always keep turmeric powder at home. You’ll find it in an Asian grocery store. Get your current portable barbecue and sprinkle some powder on the coals. Now inhale the vapors. Not only will this hasten your return, it will also help unblock your nose, allowing you to breathe easier. Do not try these home remedies for colds the next time you are hit with one. Usually you must use a combination of a few remedies, but believe me when I say they are very effective.
You must be logged in to post a comment.